Archive for the ‘Packaging’ Category

July 14th, 2010 @ 23:29

TLDR : directly skip to the last paragraph

For a few weeks now a couple of friends and I have been working on a media player for Maemo 5 with some extra bonuses (mostly track scoring and track prediction). Now that we have something pretty much functional, I was willing to produce some .deb packages for easy installation. I knew it wouldn’t be an easy task — and it definitely wasn’t.

Since I had no Scratchbox setup in the first place (64 bits distro, etc.), I first tried the py2deb/PyPackager approach, which let’s you create .deb packages directly on the tablet for python apps. Sadly, this approach requires you to sort your source tree in a very strict manner, which is as it will be on the device. Since I plan to rebuild my package often and I don’t want to work in an uglily organized environment, this is not the solution.

I thus set a debian virtualbox and installed Scratchbox on it, and tried to use a very simple cdbs build system, using python-distutils.mk (I already had a distutils build system working), and then building the .deb with dpkg-buildpackage. Sadly, for an unknown reason (to me) this was putting the python libs into /var/lib/pyshared/, which is definitely not in the n900 PYTHON_PATH, plus the package did not include the empty __init__.py files in the packages (it seems they were removed by python-support which is used by python-distutils.mk and are meant to be reconstructed upon install, though they weren’t), which lead to a completely broken package.

The next attempt I made was to use sbdmock, which is used by the official maemo.org autobuilder. Sadly, while it was successfully building other packages, it never succeeded at building my package because “pyversions”, which is required by python-distutils.mk, was missing (seems this is a known problem — though this might actually be fixed now and I might just be lacking the right builddep).

Instead of try to do it right, I should probably have done it fast. Since I’m using a debian-based distribution on my laptop, all I had to do was :

  • Install python2.5 in the right prefix (/usr), restore the /usr/bin/python symlink to python2.6
  • Write a simple homemade debian/rules file which runs distutils and then sorts everything to the right package prefix (this is actually even easier if you only have one package since there is no sorting involved ; I included a sample one at the end of the post)
  • Specify Architecture: all in debian/control (since this is a full python package, it should run on any platform)
  • Run dpkg-buildpackage. Enjoy !

Let’s note that there is something called stdeb which might be easier than this process. Too bad I only found it now :sad:

(more…)

March 2nd, 2008 @ 05:45

It’s been almost a year that this project has started, more than six months it has been having a name, it was about time to get it a neat forum theme.

So, well, here it is, check it out on http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/ (it’s not enabled-by-default right now, so you’ll have to select it using the style switcher at the bottom of the page). Please report any bug (there’s quite a high probability some icons will still be missing) in the appropriate forum, ie Forum/Wiki feedback.
Here is a couple of screenshots:

Forum theme screenshot 1
Forum theme screenshot 2

Huge thanks to Rico “RYX” Pfaus for the base layout, to Patrick “marex” Niklaus as well as the gnome-icon-theme team for the neat icons, and to onestone, Fyda and crdlb for the useful feedback, it was highly helpful. May I auto-congratulate myself for actually putting the bits together into an usable theme? *cough*

The project homepage theme is ready as well, we’re just waiting for some minor technical details to have it go live. The wiki will get a similar theme someday as well (I can’t really promiss anything right now, I’m damn busy)

August 9th, 2007 @ 10:15

CamlUII finally got CamlUI 0.3 working on Windows. Syntax highlighting is now powered by the brand new gtksourceview 2.0 (which will also power gedit 2.20). I have reworked the process handling a bit, but I still can’t get the “Interrupt” feature right :/ Windows process handling sucks so much, without the ability to send a single signal to a random process :/

Anyway, I’m currently working on integrating the documentation to the interface. This one sucks a bit too, since camllight documentation is (afaik) only distributed as a WinHelp .hlp file, which 1) isn’t usable outside of Windows 2) isn’t supported by Vista. I guess I’ll just convert is to a .chm (still not an open format, but better than nothing, especially with the libchm to read these files on Unixes).

I’ll upload the installer (powered by Nullsoft’s NSIS) as soon as I get the documentation bits in.

June 16th, 2007 @ 01:56

I’ve just spent half of my evening packaging gtksourceview2 and it’s python bindings for Feisty.
gtksourceview2 is full of good promises with a much better and smarter highlighting engine. The gnomeprint dependancy has been dropped which basically means that it will be possible to use it on windows without too much harm (compiling gtksourceview1 on windows was a real hassle). You can read more about it at Tainted Words.

Preview :
gtksourceview2 in action

After fighting a bit with the 1.90 release, I eventually packaged current svn, since the 1.90 python module wouldn’t import.
Both packages and sources can be found at http://guillaume.segu.in/code/debs/.

Once installed, checkout the python test file and run it :)